View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 12:20 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Part II: Equipment and Music Setup:

I evaluated these two headphones using a Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC, Audioquest Columbia interconnects and a Schiit Valhalla 2 OTL triode amplifier. Yes, it's all a bunch of Schiit. There's that upstart company from Valencia again (Dang! Those guys? Again? Well...yes.) making waves by providing exceptionally high performing performing products that sell at exceptionally affordable prices. The Gungnir Multibit is a DAC fully capable of taking on a Briscasti M1 and sells for a whopping $1249, about *8X* less than the Bricasti. And the Valhalla 2 sells for a budget-busting $349. Roll some nice NOS Amperex PQ 7308s into it, and you've got Conrad-Johnson level sound quality. Music was streamed from a Mac Mini in another part of the house running Roon via WiFi to a Sonore microRendu driven by an Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply to the Gungnir MB, aka Gumby. I used Gumby's new Gen 5 USB port with an Audioquest Diamond USB A-B cable.

The following playlist was used in this evaluation:
  1. I've Got You Under My Skin, Diana Krall, Live
  2. Lisboa, Melody Gardot, The Absence
  3. Corcovado, Astrud and Joao Gilberto, Getz/Gilberto
  4. Se Voce Ama, Melody Gardot, The Absence
  5. Cry Me a River, Gene Harris and Ray Brown, Soular Energy
  6. Idle Moments, Grant Green, Idle Moments
  7. For What Its Worth, Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66
  8. California Dreamin, George Benson, The Best of George Benson
  9. Blue Rondo á la Turk, Dave Brubeck, Time Out
  10. Asturias, Albeniz, Suite Espanola
  11. Bach, Concerto for Keyboard, Strings and Continuo No. 3, Murray Perahia and The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Neville Marriner.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-01-2017 at 12:25 AM.