View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 AM

taters,

This is an apples to oranges comparison to an extent but does bear somewhat on your question. I own a stock BDP-95 and just on sonic terms, quite satisfied with it. It does many things right and I could, and do, live quite happily with it. I also have a 10 year old Music Hall CD-25 that was given the then current ModWright tube modification and there are certain areas where the CD-25 sounds, to me, superior to the BDP-95. There is an analogue quality to the ModWright player that as good the the Oppo player sounds, it still lacks.

Something to bear in mind is that the ModWright 105 will allow its user to further tailor its sound by rolling in different current production and vintage tubes. I can affect the sound of the CD-25 by not only changing from a Tung-Sol 5687 to say, a Raytheon 5687, but also from changing to a GE 7044 or an Amperex 7119. You'd be in a similar situation, if you wished, with the ModWright 105.

From what I've read, the Oppo 105 improves, in its stock form, on the 95 and I can only imagine how much better it'd sound once it received the ModWright tube modifications. Whether this would be as satisfying to you as a used Esoteric or Ayre player, for example, is not something I can speak to. But, based on my limited experience, I somehow doubt you'd be disappointed with the ModWright 105.