Thread: Subs for Salon2
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2018, 11:07 AM

We're sure to know the same people and probably have passed each other without knowing it. Getting an education in pro audio provides a different point of view as a practical matter. I've found that setting up my playback systems at home teaches me many fine points I might never consider in certain pro applications and vice versa. The disciplines relate well to each other if you can pick through the marketing noise separating them.

I listened to the latest tune for 3 hours last night. I'm not able to quantify the audible differences yet but it still sounds very good . More listening time is needed. It's subtle but it feels like accuracy of level and timing parameters are equally or more important to the sound ( within a relatively narrow range of knee options).

On the JLA frequencies are selected by turning a small un-detented knob that I don't find particularly easy to center. This introduces a small variable compared to a digital crossover with direct readouts or menu based settings such as you'd find on a BSS, Lake, dbx or other such digital processor. I'm learning that making sure wherever the center frequency is, level and phase settings must be very carefully attended to. That seems intuitive but it's took time to learn how to do it within my rig.

I'm curious to her what Revel might recommend which I suspect would include changing to Levinson electronics and the now discontinued Ultima sub! (Laughs to self).

Last edited by Pampero; 04-01-2018 at 02:17 PM.