View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 04:50 PM

Chops-Tube just traded his amp to his brother for an older W4S ST-250 I think. He liked the sound vastly better.

EJ (owner of W4S) told me that the mk-II are vastly improved. I just read that they in fact just won the Absolute Sounds 2016 Editor's Choice Awards.

While I have not heard the W4S amplifier I can say I replaced a McIntosh with a W4S pre-amp and the W4S sounds a whole lot better. More open, better imagining, much more control of the bottom end.

And one thing to keep in mind, I grew up in the shadow of the McIntosh factory (Binghamton, NY) and they are very near and dear to my heart, and to be completely clear I now live near the Wyred 4 Sound factory (I live in Nipomo, they are just up the road in Atascadero, CA)... therefore both companies are special to me.

One other thing to consider is that every amp he listed that he compared against the W4S are multiple times more expensive, even used. Also he was not comparing the new models from W4S. His opinion and experiences are certainly valid, just looking at the whole picture.

Last edited by Randy Myers; 03-26-2016 at 08:21 PM.