View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 PM
Semi-audiophile

Last night I played my first CDs with the GLs in the new setup. It was interesting, and a bit different than what I experienced with DVDs.

I played some Brazilian stuff, Antonio Carlos Jobim's Wave and a Verve compilation, The Best of Bossa Nova. The sound was good overall, the Bossa disc sounded better; it's a better recording, I think. On that one, cymbals had a nice sheen to them and I could detect a bit more realism to most instruments compared to Wave. The GL's smoothness and detail served this type of music very well. And being more laid-back than the BD's presentation, especially in the upper frequencies, it was a perfect fit. The Wave CD sounded a bit muddy and perhaps a little hard on the title track, the piano especially, which also sounded bit muffled at times; again, I think the recording isn't the greatest, but I don't remember it sounding quite like that with the BDs.

This is only two CDs, and of a specific genre at that, so I'm not prepared to say I like one tube better than the other. I'll have to pull out my reference CD tracks to play and see what's up with those. I'll also have to trot out more DVDs/BDs to see if first impressions continue on the video side.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks