View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 02:22 PM

Default Silver Electra Cables and $10 bottles of wine

There is an old saying that goes, “To appreciate a $30 bottle of wine you first have to drink a lot of $10 bottles” ……. I’ve come to the conclusion that it is the same with cables

My equipment consists of a McIntosh Mx150 Processor / MC205 Zone #1 Amp / MC7108 Zone #2 Amp / MPC1500 Power Conditioner / MR500 FM Tuner / MT10 Turntable with a Fosgate Phono Preamp / Oppo BDP-83 Blu Ray / Sony BD-PCX960 400 Disc Megachanger / Snell XA-90 speaker system with four 10” subs / Sony VPL-10 Overhead Projector / Stewart 100” Greyhawk Screen

My connecting cables were a hodge podge of everything from Kimber to some esoteric Japanese interlinks that I assembled over the years in an ongoing “tweaking” quest – I liked my overall sound – It was warm and full

Last year when I upgraded to a McIntosh Mx150 Processor I went with my installers recommendation of Transparent HDMI cables – I wasn’t much of an HDMI fan to start with so the price point was good – I plugged them in, sat back and enjoyed – A few months ago I joined the forum and saw all the Wireworld reviews – It made me curious so I contacted Master Lu and got a Starlight HDMI to check out

I plugged in the Starlight, flipped on the Sony Projector and my wife turned to me and asked, “Did you put a new bulb in the projector?” – The difference was dramatic … make that astounding – The color saturation was vivid – The detail was crisp – A few days later I noticed the sound separation seemed more defined – The highs were floating and the bass was tighter – I thought it might be some wishful thinking on my part so I swapped back to the Transparent HDMI – What a shock …. it sounded like there was a towel over my speakers and the video went flat so back to the Starlight – I was becoming a Wireworld believer

The question on my mind now was if a Starlight HDMI was this amazing how would a Silver Starlight HDMI perform – I called Ivan (we were on a first name basis by now) and he sent me the Silver Starlight HDMI – Two days of the Silver Starlight HDMI cable and I went from Wireworld believer to Wireworld fan - The new question on my mind was if the Wireworld Silver HDMI was this outstanding what kind of difference would the other Wireworld cables make in my system

I decided to start with speaker cables – After a week of the Wireworld Silver Eclipse running nonstop for the obligatory burn in period I used the SunDaze LP mono recording of Dylan’s Greatest Hits on my McIntosh MT10 for a test – My thought was with a mono recording I could have the Kimber 8tc on one channel and the Wireworld Silver Eclipse on the other channel for an easy direct comparison – The Wireworld channel was so much more revealing and open I was again stunned – I went Silver Eclipse in both channels and played the MFSL LP of Madelene Peyrpox’s “Careless Love” – This recording has a lot of space around the instruments - The sound image seemed to be floating seamlessly in front of my speakers – It became three dimensional – Live albums can be a challenge so I went for broke with The Modern Jazz Quartet “Blues at Carnagie Hall” – This is a great recording with a wide range of dynamics (lots of vibraphone solos) and the Silver Eclipse again more than delighted - I tested again with my other sources and different material – I went from a Wireworld fan to a Wireworld Enthusiast

Long story short (this is getting a bit lengthy) over time as my budget allowed I added Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Power Cords and Sub Cables – Each time I replaced a cable with a Wireworld product the difference was remarkable – As of today my entire Zone A set up is 100% Silver Wireworld and the cumulative effect for both video and audio is beyond anything I could have imagined a few months back – I love Wireworld

Last evening I listened to “Sinatra in Paris” and enjoyed a nice glass of Italian red – I appreciated the quality of both

Thanks to Ivan for his patience and advice