Thread: Transformer hum
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 08:10 AM

After reading these posts I felt confident to tackle the hum problem I’ve always had. It was audible from over 3 meters away - in the end had to remove Mr T from my system.
Firstly, I checked the mounting screws at the base and found these locked tight, so no joy there. I then decided to approach the problem from the inside – and I’m glad I did. With everything disconnected and using a long neck socket wrench I very (very) carefully checked the mounting nuts and found each could be tightened about one and a half turns (not over tightened). This resulted in about a 75% reduction in the hum. The lesson here is not to assume everything’s tight – even if you can’t turn the external screw heads.
I then discovered when I lightly held the sides of the outer casing (gently pushing inwards) the hum reduced even more. My treatment for this was to carefully slide a small square of Sorbothane between the (inner) case sides and transformer which resulted in near silence. Not very scientific I know, but it’s worked for me.