View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 06:41 PM

Default Power for my primary Mc system

Building a new home, and with so many decisions on deck, after lots of thoughts and 'planning' over many years - I now feel rushed and uninformed!

Grateful for input here on power for my MC system:

For the pair of 501’s I am planning to plug straight into the wall outlet(s), I will have whole home surge protection at the panel.

• I assume 1 single 20A dedicated line is sufficient for both amps? Based on Dan’s current draw measurements from a long-ago post, I think so?
• Silly question, but can I run just one 20A duplex receptacle that will allow me to plug in both amps?
• I have never thought much about power cords, but I also assume I can use a standard (15A) power cord design to plug in to the 20A receptacle?

For all the sources, pre-amp, TV etc. was thinking about a good quality power bar – I currently have a PS Dectet, but looking into the Shunyata PS8.

• Assume I should run a second 20A dedicated line for this?
• If I go with something like the PS8, I believe it is rated for 20A.
• As with the amp question above, I assume the PS8 would conceivably be connected to a 20A outlet using a 15A power cord? I cannot imagine sources and pre-amp drawing anywhere near that load BTW.

Thanks in advance for thoughts – including good suggestions for receptacles and power cords.

I have only ever used stock PC’s… so thinking of an upgrade to something like VENOM series PC’s as an example of my general price point.

Cheers

Matt