View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 05:50 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Default Where should I position my rear surrounds

Fellow AA'ers, my basement finish is underway! Time for me to wire all the low voltage wiring and get some sheetrock rolling.

I'm going to be running a 7.2 setup (with cables for an extra pair of subs for a future 7.4 setup).

I was able to buy some Bryston TIW (their 3 way in-wall speaker) {THANKS IVAN}, which will be the surround back.

The back wall is around 28' back from the front, and is not in a dedicated room (the basement is open to the left of the front screen and to the right when looking back at the rear wall.

The rear wall is 140" wide, by 96" tall.

Long term, I would love to place some arcade games or something along that back wall, but for now, it is rear surround wall only.

With the thought of having arcade games, my initial thought was to place the brystons 72" off the ground (measured to the bottom).* This would leave the top of the speaker 7" off the ceiling, 24" from the left wall, and around 72" apart.* (Labeled "A" in the picture).* When I drew this on the wall, it felt really high to me, but again I've never had a 7.x setup before.

The more I read, the more I feel like high on the wall is the better placement of the rear surround speakers.

I drew out another option "B" where the top of the Brystons would be 20" from the ceiling, 59" off the ground (to the bottom of the speaker), 56" apart, and 34" off the wall on either side.

I'm not crazy about this setup, as it is in the way of future fun. Plus I assume you want them wider than the listening area (without getting too close to the wall).

This led me to Option "C", placing the speakers 7" from the ceiling, and 18" for either side. This is my top choice, if it will render good results. (I will be adding an Anthem Statement D2V as my processor, so the ARC room correction will likely do awesome work to overcome imperfections in the room).

Finally, a friend suggested I mount the Brystons upside down, so the tweeters are not up so high avoiding reflections in the ceiling which seemed like a great thought.

What do you say? I look forward to your feedback as I'm planning on running speaker cables ASAP and want to run them to the right location

I've attached a photo that I've marked up so you can get a better idea.*

Rear Theater Speaker choicesEdited.jpg
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW

Last edited by Masterlu; 09-16-2020 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Enlarge and embed photo