View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 07:53 AM

Petronius I get where you are coming from for I have wrestled with that exact thought. When I started out many moons ago there was only 2 channel and as life got in the way (marriage, children, collage, etc., etc.) I found myself at a point where I had two systems, one 2 channel, one 5.1. Neither systems were the quality I have know but a few years ago I decided to get back into the hobby and upgrade. I soon started asking myself what was important to me and this is what I landed on.

"I wanted a system that was enjoyed by my family and when push can to shove two channel was more critical." I don't have unlimited funds for the hobby so combining the two systems allows me to explore better equipment. Also, one system in a room that is used on a regular bases will see more activity. YMMV

I said all that because I believe one must decide where to direct his/her primary attention when building a system. Two channel or Home Theater. Yes SQ is important to both and can be addressed at the same time but many decision will be made that leans one way or the other. Let me give an example I faced. Do I buy an AV receiver/processor and run my two channel through it or a preamp and use passthru. I decided on the c2700 with passthru because I believe it gave me a "better" chance at two channel SQ. Consequently, it also elevated my HT system in the process. A win-win for me. Others may decide on a AVR/Processor because 11 channel movie playback is more important.

In the end, I believe a carefully calculated system which is approached from either two channel or HT will result in elevating both.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500