View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 11:41 PM

Colleagues.
About a week and a half ago, I had to go to Seattle for some business and also looked around for a new AV receiver.
Since I live in a smallish house, I need to incorporate my listening space with my "theater" space.The audio-advisor informed me that my present speakers were "ok" for home theater, but not up to the task of the delicate nuance of listening. Further that my present system was not worthy to wear the title of Hi-Fidelity.

OK, a snob is a snob and maybe the guy just had a smack down with his wife but that did tend to put my teeth on edge.

In my way of thinking accurate reproduction is accurate reproduction. It doesn't matter if it is an audiophile recording or a movie soundtrack, the job of a playback system is to reproduce the signal without adding or subtracting anything from or to it. In other words a straight wire with gain.

This whole notion that you need one type of system for movies, and a two channel system for music is totally lost on me.
It reminds me of a carefully worded response given by our late and lamented colleague Paul W. Klipsch once said: "Bullshit"