View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 10:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

I received the amp Wednesday, set it up Thursday eve and have been playing since. This is what I wrote to Dennis:

Quote:
I love the amplifier! Did some switching around tubes and so far I'm preferring the 6H1P driver and the 274B rectifier combo as well. There is power enough to listen with the AR2ax', though I'm curious what higher sensitivity speakers would do (also single driver). I've had to play at higher settings to get the same volume, but I'm guessing that's expected with lower wattage. I'm surprised how well it produces bass. I've also turned up the tweeter and midrange pots on the AR's to get the same tonal balance. It sounded kind of veiled set for where the CJ was playing. At some point, I'll roll tubes in the SLP-05 (I have a few brands) to optimize them mating as best I can.

I'm still tweaking and acclimating, but I can say my hoped for sound that is easier to listen to/less fatiguing has been realized. It is clearly smoother than the CJ. I'm also getting a bump up in imaging along with more of the woody sounds from horns and acoustic guitars and more of the breath in vocals.
The reference to tubes is the choice of 6N30 or 6H1P for input and 5AR4 or 274B for rectifier. 12 wpc with the 5AR4 and 10 wpc with the 274B, but the 274B is just nicer in sound. Impressive looking tube, too!