View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
I bought the Ref DAC right as it was introduced and used it in my study system up until about 6 months ago. The sound is the best I heard from an ARC digital product and I found that using it direct to amps and leveraging its high quality preamp feature provided the best results. The interface is however very poorly thought through and in the end....I decided to replace with a Rossini.
Thanks for your comments. What preamp were you bypassing when you made the determination that the Ref DAC sounded superior running directly to the amps? What are the rest of the components in your system?

I own the ARC Ref 10 preamp and it would be a major negative if I found this to be the case in my system (Vandersteen 7 mono amps and speakers). I would question the redundancy and sonic degradation caused by the Ref DAC's volume control, which cannot be defeated, used in conjunction with a top notch preamp. I would probably purchase the Ref CD-9 instead of the Ref DAC if I found this to be the case with the Ref 10 preamp in my system.

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 12-17-2016 at 12:55 AM.