View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggar View Post
I told my dealer that, in about one year, I might be ready to upgrade my preamp. He told me that the greatest improvement would be between the V5xe and the VX-5 and that I'd probably not notice much improvement if I were to invest in a new preamp. I think that, for now, I'll stand still.

I cannot think of a thing that I would do to my system - unless my spouse wins the battle of the speakers. Before I bought them, I took her to see the Revel Salons and she only had good things to say about size, fit and finish. When I bought them and played the first album, she could instantly tell the difference between the Salons and the Paradigm Sig. 8s that they replaced. Now, they are too big and block her view of a piece of artwork. Luckily, any of the alternatives that I'd want (Vandy, Estalon) wouldn't work with our decor so, we're at an impasse and, in this case, an impasse is the best result!

I've heard the preamp is the big change in the chain. That's not to take anything away from your upgrade. I came from a Bryston 4B SST, and the VX-5 Twenty is, in the least, leagues better. Your new amp should bring you benefits on a similar scale too. I did the amp upgrade first because I wanted Ayre synergy with my K-5xeMP. Now I'm looking for betterment of that synergy with the KX-5 Twenty.