Thread: Coltrane Tenors
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaizada View Post
Hey David,

Thanks for chiming in! We have a few versions of Marten Bird speakers in my local audio group. Bob Levi has Bird 1 with the Bi Wire setup, another friend has Bird 1.5 (Same drivers as the new Bird 2, but Bi Wired Crossover and also rewired internally with Jorma Prime. Basically has the older crossover and newer drivers). Out of all 3, the Bird 2 sounds slightly more natural and cohesive. Also, the Bird 2 is the only one with the Bass Control knob between our 3 Bird speakers. The EAR USA distributor agreed with me and explained the more simplified and updated crossover as the reason per Leif.

Good to know about the Bird 2 being wired with Jorma No.2 cables. The crossover, the Bird 2 speaker everything has been tweaked and designed for a complete package as per Leif's ears. I'm thinking that is probably why my Birds sound the way they do despite the Bird 1.5 using Jorma Prime. Probably the crossover components have been designed with the sound of the Jorma 2 cable. The speakers just worked amazingly well for me in my room. It's been fun!
Hard to believe that the Bird 1.5 is wired with Prime , when the higher Coltrane with No.1 . I consulted Leif about the change to Prime in my Coltrane2 from No.1 and he mentioned it to be be a worthwhile upgrade . As it is factory installed , they must be tweaking the x-over if need be to optimise . It is a 10k move , so am sure there will be no half measures .

Last edited by jazzhead; 03-09-2014 at 04:07 AM.