View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
I have never heard Maggies. I had a chance to hear Quad 2805s and just didn't find them engaging. They sounded thin to me and lacked any dynamics - kind of a boring presentation. Are the Maggies very different from Quads? I am curious but never got a chance to listen to them.
In my opinion YES. The Quads are like intraverts to me and Maggies can be considered extraverts. Maggies can also sound a bit thin and lean if the gear driving them is not up to par. Dynamics are not really their strongest suit per say, although the bigger Maggies do OK. Transparency, transient speed, purity, better top to bottom coherence (as compared to similar priced box speakers) is their charm. I think Maggies may be a bit easier to drive than many electrostats overall but still need a fairly robust tube amp since they are not very efficient. I'd go for a Class A biased amp/mosfets if I couldn't do a tube amp with them or try to find a warmer/more laid back solid state amp to balance them to my preference. Conrad Johnson works well with them, I heard that combo many times and liked it.