Thread: Subs for Salon2
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
100 Hz seems too high to me. Have you tried 80 Hz? Might even try 70 Hz.

I had F112's and used 70 Hz with Lipinski L-707's as mains.

I think the F113's would be happier not going as high as 100 Hz and the Salon2's have no problem going well below 80 Hz.

You have to remember, low E on bass guitar is 41 Hz, low E on guitar is 82 Hz. D below it is 73 Hz.

I consider 80 Hz the upper range of bass. By the time you hit 110 Hz you're at the A string on guitar. That's low midrange IMO.

If you look at the specs of the F113 (http://www.jlaudio.com/f113-gloss-ho...bwoofers-96137), it's flattest (+/- 1.5dB) from 20-86Hz.

It's down 3 dB at 127Hz, that's just it's natural rolloff.
I've tried 80Hz with less satisfying results. I agree it is counter intuitive to go higher given the Revels are rated for flat response to 23Hz (the -3dB point) and are very, very flat through the mid bass. However, they don't measure that way in my room. I can relate to your comment. It was my initial thinking as well but for some reason in practice the subs don't seem to mind the higher xover.

The precision with which I am able to locate the null for tuning phase and level has improved since the last time I did the 80Hz tuning. Practice makes perfect if you will. It's a touchy adjustment as the depth of the notch is sensitive to the lightest touch. It could be that a very tightly dialed in 80 or 70 Hz xover will improve on the already impressive results I've achieved at 100Hz, perhaps tightening it up even further.

It's not a big deal to reverse the mains' polarities and do it again at any given frequency. Given the flat frequency and power response of the Salons, I initially thought I could get away with using 40 or 50Hz and tried it there but didn't like the results at all. What the JLs do better than the Salons at LF is quite simply, move more air.

BTW, my initial settings were selected after talking with JL about their recommendations which, surprisingly favor the higher crossover knee. Also it should come as no surprise to you that everybody who knows the Salon2s recommends a lower xover point. But in the end, how does it sound in one's space?

I'll try lowering the xover to see where it comes undone but 100Hz is sounding pretty darn good. I'll try again...I enjoy it actually.... and get back to the gang as it seems I'm the guy leading the charge regarding this issue (specific LF tuning of the Salon2s) on this forum.

Another discovery I've made is that either the input (or output or both) of the JLA CR1 or the output of my C52 or input of my 452 aren't true balanced circuits. This is an educated guess based on the fact that I have to make up pretty close to 6dB of gain to the amplifier when I insert the crossover. I use the mix pot of the crossover to accomplish this as I don't have any other place to grab that gain, If I don't make it up, my preamp will in theory clip 6dB before my amp runs out of juice. I can't think of any other reason why I should loose 6dB of gain going through the JL1 so I suspect the balancing act of one or the other of the inputs or outputs.

Last edited by Pampero; 03-29-2018 at 08:20 PM.