Thread: ROKU or?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 AM

I currently have a Roku box and an Nvidia Shield box in different systems. The Roku box does have a very nice interface, but I ran into problems streaming some MKV files that I have stored on my local network, something about a codec not being supported. Also I was getting various pops/clicks when listening to anything with surround sound audio (this was about a year ago). I moved it to a TV only system and it has been fine.

The Nvidia Shield went in to my home theater system and has also been very good, came with a gaming controller as well and you can get some games from the Google play store so it has a little more functionality than the others. However I just found out that the Hulu app on that device is outdated and they have no plans to update it. Since I am going from DirecTV to Hulu that won't work any longer. It also had the same issues with codecs that the Roku did with the native media player, but I was able to get a different media player app to solve the issue.

I currently plan on replacing the Shield with an AppleTV 4K. Yes it is more than the Roku or Fire TV devices, but I also have iPhones, iPads and a Mac laptop so I figure it will fit right in with my current devices.

I assume Roku have the pop/click audio issue resolved by now, but I just don't want to bother with it any more. I want something that just works and from what I have read the AppleTV will do just that in my current setup.