View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
I’ve been in this hobby for nearly 40 years. I decided to steer away from tubes, with the intent of a hassle free listening experience and settled on a new Bryston 4b3 and an Ayre K5xeMP. At first, I wasn’t impressed, but after logging in 200 to 300 hours, the system came alive - a liquid, holographic sound that I was not expecting! And, to add to the experience, I have tinnitus and discovered I could fully enjoy the presentation at low volume, without exacerbating my tinnitus. I can unequivocally say that my Ayre Kx5xeMP is the best preamp I’ve ever owned!

So, what happened? I read this thread, along with a number of reviews of the Kx5-Twenty and thought that if it’s so much better, perhaps the last pre you’d ever buy, with the same characteristics of allowing joyful, low volume listening, I’d give it a shot! So, I bought one!

Buyers remorse? Ok, Although used, it was recently built and I sense it hasn’t had a lot of use. The obvious: the sound is more transparent and the frequencies are extended at both ends; however, that liquid, holographic quality isn’t there! Please tell me this is a break-in issue and that I’ll regain these qualities in the new pre?

Thanks,

John
I also have a 4B3 + K-5xeMP and am thinking about upgrading to KX-5 Twenty! Though I cannot speak for KX-5 Twenty, I recently had a similar experience with QB-9 DSD which I bought from Audiogon. The unit had obvious signs of use so I assumed it had been fully broken in by the previous owner. I was not very impressed with its output for the first couple of days although I could find some upsides. I considered selling it, but after a few days of operation it started to "open up", and eventually I started feel there is no going back.. I hope your KX-5 Twenty is also in the middle of break in.