Thread: Magico M9
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Hi Charles,
Yes I am sure of the coming of trickled down models.
But I will never be able to afford them too as Q7 resale value will not cover even half of what to come. At the time I pulled the trigger for Q7 I told myself that they will
be my end game speakers, and that is still true, until I won A lotto.
Oh and congrats on new XVX, I like those too.
TOGA
If I had one criticism of the M9 its the lack of rear ambiance drivers. As far as I can see the M9 is the absolute Magico expression of the Magico concept of the sealed design. It is structure and driver quality taken to the absolute limit. The huge 15" woofers and the extremely high crossover frequency (magico says low) apparently necessitated the active crossover design, not because this was inherently better than a passive design. So as I understand it the M9 does not really have a built in sub after all. A built in sub is typically powered by a built in amp and crossed over at a lower frequency; and the M9 has no rear ambiance feature.

The XVX has a better rear ambiance feature than the WAMM because it is adjustable and has a Mark 5 tweeter. It also has superior mids. It's time alignment feature is equal to the WAMM. All in all I would rather have it than a WAMM even for the same price. When I saw the WAMM I new it was not for me. The M9 would not be for me either. I think speaker design is heading towards more active designs with features like built in subs, tri-amping, dsp, etc. It will be interesting to see the "flagship" that Magico come out with that folks like Toga would be interested in. He may change his tune when he sees it. One you are bitten it's hard not to succumb to the high end fever.

p.s. If I am understanding correctly since the crossover is adjustable, identical amps would not be needed. Thanks for the compliment concerning my XVX. For me it's the perfect speaker. But I am sure that the new scaled down Magico flagship will rival or eclipse the XVX.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 06-17-2020 at 04:08 PM.