View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 01:38 PM

Default Power trigger question

I have been playing around a little with triggering power on various components. Looking for some opinions...

First of all, my Furman conditioner has two un-switched outlets which I use for the pre-amplifier and computer/music server. The remaining are switched via the power trigger cable from the pre-amplifier to the power conditioner.

Therefore I can have the other components, amplifier, disk spinner, tuner, etc., get triggered on via the pre-amplifier. My question is this, there are many times when listening to other sources, such as the music server or listening through headphones that only certain components are in use. Is it a bad idea to have them all powered via the trigger or is it better to individually power the components that are going to be used.

For example, listening to a SACD I wouldn't need the tuner on, or listening to the headphones I would not require the amplifier. So is it better for the individual components to always power up without using their individual power switches, or is it better to only power them when they are about to be used? I have heard both arguments, so what do you guys think?