View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
Here is another opinion. I'm running the Vivaldi DAC/UpS/Clock without a pre-amp and love it. I only use a single input to the Vivaldi hardware - my Mac Mini. I don't play head banger music that might benefit from a pre-amp. Mostly classical and acoustic jazz. The lower output of the DAC (2VDC) is adequate for all I listen to. The sound is sublime. Would it be better with a pre-amp? I am not motivated to find out since the set up I have meets all me emotional needs.

Cincy
I've been away for a while due to work requirements. Now that I have the time to return, I feel compelled to revisit my opinion above. I replaced my dCS Vivaldi DAC, upsampler and clock with an MSB Select II DAC. I'm running it direct to my mono blocks. During my in house demo, I had the opportunity to compare the Vivaldi DAC output to the MSB direct output. The Vivaldi output was thin in comparison to what the MSB DAC could produce. Fuller, richer, better dynamics. To my ears, the MSB produced what a reference pre amp would have added to the equation. Certainly this DAC is on a level above any of the dCS gear I've owned during the past 15 years. I never thought I would switch. My MSB DAC arrives on Tuesday.

Cincy
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management

Last edited by Masterlu; 05-25-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Selling, or attempting to sell anything must be posted in our Marketplace.