View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 04:32 PM

I've run a couple of Cadenza Bronzes in backup roles on and off over the past few years. One on an Innovation Wood w/ Graham Phantom, another on SOTA Star with Fidelity Research FR64fx. I preferred it on the FR64fx, where I still have it mounted to a backup headshell. I also have a Universal 12" (now dismounted), but unfortunately never tried that pairing. The Cadenza is on the low side of compliance, so maybe that's why I like it with the heavy-ish FR.

It's a very good sounding cartridge, with enough dynamics, details, and musicality to lose yourself in the music when conditions are right. Well-tempered. It's noted as having some warmth, but I find that to be mostly in comparison to Ortofon's higher-end models (Jubilee, Windfeld MC, A90, Anna, etc), which were too lean for me. To me, the Cadenza Bronze is more along the lines of neutral-ish. But it's not as refined nor as "spectacular" sounding as higher-tier MC offerings. If you're looking for a cartridge to pull at your heart-strings, you may need to look further. Also, I felt the Cadneza sounded great right out of the box starting at hour 1 - but on the flip-side there's no major burn-in transformation to look forward to.

I personally prefer a bit more warmth, and a fatter midrange, so I easily prefer my Shelter and Koetsu cartridges - albeit at a higher price tier. Some other top-tier MC's are noted as being much faster/leaner/brighter than these brands, and I can't imagine enduring my long, loud, and immersive listening sessions with one of those.

Certainly also try experimenting with loading and gain on the Bronze, as much as is possible. And it can work equally well with active MC stages or a SUT; it seems much more flexible in this aspect than other cartridges (it's easy to get good sound, which may explain it's frequency in show and demo systems). That said, with your Innovation and REF 2SE, I think investing in more cartridge will very easily & obviously reveal itself in your system.

Last edited by mulveling; 04-23-2019 at 04:38 PM.