View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 09:44 PM

David,

Heartiest congrats to you! You must be elated. I hope they bring you many hours of joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
My Strads were delivered today. They are just beautiful in the red violin finish, just a spectacular piece of craftsmanship to behold upon entering the room. I never ever thought I would own a pair of these, I have wanted them for many years and today its a reality

For initial set up I put the Strads where my Elipsa's were set up and then adjusted the listening chair further back about 7- 8 inches as it just felt too close to these speakers. The Elipsa is not exactly a small speaker but the Strads. are much taller and wider. I then moved the Strads a few inches here and there to adjust the center faux imaging a bit. Lastly I adjusted the rake angle which I am still tweaking, I'm about 90 % there. The bass is good, no bloat, very clear and tight. No need for a sub. in my room. I will leave them this way for a day or two and see from there.
My initial impression is very positive. The bass/mid-bass are certainly big and tight with the 2 woofers, tone controls are flat where as before the bass was plus 2 with the Elipsa. The midrange is wonderful for example even while listening to the softest decay of piano notes with associated various other notes the harmonics linger as if someone is performing in front of you. I am still in the exploring stage. Overall very happy with the purchase . These are a special piece, a future classic . These were the last remnant of Franco at Sonus Faber and I am lucky to have them. I will say the Elipsa is a very good speaker and is capable of about 90 % of what the Strads. do. The Strads. however still have something over the Elipsa, just a little more realism in the presentation.
I moved my Elipsa to the HT. I did a similar set up there as well based on how the Guarneri Memento's were placed. I still have to recalibrate the 2 JL audio subs. room perfect again in the HT, change the crossover freq. on the subs., change the crossover settings to full range in the HT processor and crossover settings in the pre amp. processor. While I was packing up the Guarneri Memento, someone texted me that they are interested in the Elipsa and would like to see/hear them next week so I have one GM still attached to its pedestal while the other is tucked away in the box. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures
Nordost Odin 2 cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature 4V X 2 rack
Incoming: Magico Q15 subs (2)