View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 05:04 PM

About a decade ago, owned the MC2102 (100 WPC tube amp) and the Mac C1000 3 piece preamp with Wilson Watt Puppy 7s. I was determined to purchase the MC 2301 monos. When I went to my local dealer and listened to a full Mac system with my preamp and the 2301s , I was ready to buy. Then my dealer suggested swapping out the upper tier Mac electronics for a mid level Audio Research preamp and amp---just for a listen. I was a bit insulted at first --as I was a died in the wool Mac tube fan having owned a number of Mac components prior to my then current set up. I thought the salesman was a bit presumptuous to suggest that I might prefer an ARC system which I assumed he preferred at less than a third the price of mine.--I was astonished about how much better the ARC system sounded, especially in the midrange. I heard previously unheard detail on numerous test cds I brought with me. These were cds that I had listened to hundreds of times. I could count the background singers on one Van Morrison track when before they sounded as a massed group. I heard each individual voice and how the harmonies were constructed. This type of detail added to musical enjoyment. On another track from a David Byrne cd, I clearly heard low level detail in the midrange that I had never heard before. And the sound was not harsh, just revealing and much more transparent than Mac with greater tonal color and texture and a light touch of sweetness.
I went back home to my Mac system and listened again to those tracks paying particular attention to what I had heard earlier in the day at my dealer. But what I thought was missing in my Mac system was, in fact, still completely missing. The sounds were simply not there--masked by a slight scrim over the presentation that makes Mac easy on the ears but far from transparent.
I was upset at the time as I knew that I had to sell all of my Mac gear and go ARC. I started with the Ref 5 preamp which worked better than my Mac preamp with the Mac 2102. Over time, I completely converted to ARC starting with the Ref 110, the Ref 40-- then the Ref 150 and now the Ref 160 monos.
I will say, I still favor the sound of Mac gear with certain speakers such as B&W. Of course, others may hear all of the above differently than me and they would not be wrong.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,