View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
Thanks AudioBill. In the past i have always gravitated to a warmer laid back sound, so it will be interesting to hear the Sopras and see if they win me over. Will try to spend enough time with them to let the first impression wear off.
I've been an owner of a pair of Sopra No2 for 4 months now. Never owned SF but did give the Olympica IIIs a try out (and like SuperFrg also heard them directly compared with the 802D2). A laid back warmer sound, the Sopras are not. I preferred the Sopras over the 802D2 in part for this reason, and in part because I found them more transparent. Same for the Olympicas (which I heard on ARC gear).

IMO, all the posts since your initial question ring pretty true to me based on my experience with the Sopras - but one. I would not describe them (or the tweeter) as bright. Otherwise, collectively I think they accurately capture their character.

Prior to pulling the trigger on the Sopras I spent a good two years searching an auditioning speakers. Some significantly above their price point. For certain the Sopras are a tremendous speaker for the price, and if their sonic character is your cup a tea, offer a value that is hard to pass up. They are definitevely quite impressive as many of the reviews are flagging.

I would offer that the Sopras will best pair up with electronics that don't lean to the analytical side. Mine are strapped to a McIntosh MC402 and C500T via two runs (each) of Kimber 8TC, Cardas Golden Reference ICs all around. The Kimber being possibly not the best suited for them however.