View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
I’m in almost the exact same position myself. I’ve gone full circle with my system, and no longer seek that ultra-neutral, ultra-revealing system I used to, and instead favour the more relaxed, musical and emotional connection with the music, with that fuller and denser presentation, but without losing significant detail. Hence why I’m labouring the decision between the 590AXii and the 509X somewhat.
Based on everything I’ve heard from other people including a dealer is that the 590 is just a tad sweeter and richer sounding and if you are not overtaxing the 590 it will keep up with the dynamics just as well as the 509. I love the tonal density and the dynamic contrast it can coax out of my speakers which are so good at the all important midrange for my ears. Not a trace of that cool and sterile, ultra detailed response at all. It has a meaty presentation without sounding micro detail challenged. Spotlighting the soundstage like some amps/speaker combos can however is not exactly its forte.. If you are looking for an amp that will allow you to hear the finest brush strokes on the snare for example, it may be a bit lacking. It still favors a rich and meaty “macro” rather than “micro” presentation. So if you like to analyze the recording with a magnifying glass, perhaps keep looking. If you are looking for a musically engaging and emotionally involving presentation, the 590 delivers in spades. Of course the speakers, DAC and front end will come into play here as well in the overall picture.

Last edited by PHC1; 05-29-2019 at 01:25 PM.