View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 12:27 AM

Hello Glenn:

How are you?

I'm a little further along in life than the young lady whose the subject matter is intended for.

I'm going to say that my budget (also for a small system) is around $10K (-/+).

I'm planning to move into a small one bed/one bath 700 sq. ft. condominium soon. So while I do want a quality system that's going to sound big and massive in scope, it has to be small and minimalist in stature.

I want speakers that are going to be small in stature, but have energy in the bass region while maintaining accuracy in the all critical midrange and top-end without getting subwoofers. That's why my pick are the LSA-1's from a small manufacturer named "The LSA Group".

My Phono Preamplifier is a PS Audio GCPH which is in my current system and is (in my opinion) several steps ahead of the NAD Phono Preamps. And if possible, I plan to keep it and use it in the next system (as well as the turntable... possibly).

Now, my sticking points at this point would be the amplifier (do I go separates again, or do I go for an integrated this time, and unless I end up picking the Powered KEF's, if I decide to go with the LSA-1's, I would be leaning towards an integrated this time around), and maybe, the digital source (I'm open to getting an i-Pod.... then I can unload all of that music off of my i-Phone and put it all on to my new i-Pod instead and free up all of that space on my i-Phone (6S -- 64 GB).

I will look into the KEF LS50 and see what they have on offer. But what I want are an extended bass response (I listen to Jazz, R&B/Soul (including 60's Motown), Rock, Pop, and I know this may be unpopular for most of us, who are intending to put together a system of mid-fi or even high-end intentions -- Rap/Hip-Hop), and maybe a DAC for my digital source(s).

But from looking at the KEF LS50's, if I am to go by their stature only, I'm going to say that they're going to come up rather short in the bass region (but will sound excellent elsewhere), and that I may have to budget for subwoofers down the line. so they'll need to have line outs for subwoofers as well, if I plan to eventually add them.

Adding an Ortofon 2M Black is a possibility (as well as an Audio Technica AT150sa).

Thanks again for your insight, and I will look into those options as well.

--Charles--

Last edited by chaskelljr1963; 10-16-2017 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Grammar