View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 12:46 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado
Default Sonos says high-res audio support "not on the roadmap

What Hi-Fi? spoke to Giles Martin, Sound Experience Leader at Sonos (and successful record producer), at the launch of the Sonos Playbase, and naturally we couldn't help but ask about high-res audio. Sonos supports lossles, CD-quality files but no higher, unlike some rival products, notably Bluesound.

Martin has worked in some of the most famous studios in the world on some of the biggest albums, so it's fair to say he knows his stuff. He's also not shy of an opinion where sound quality is concerne

"I'd like everyone to start listening to 16-bit/44.1 kHz [CD-quality, lossless audio] and stop listening to MP3s, and experience those differences before they start talking about high-res," said Martin.

"It becomes a spec war. I did this with the Beatles masters at 24/96... and yes, there is a difference... but the difference between MP3 and 44.1 is the one. For most units [with hi-res audio] you wouldn't notice the difference, with double-blind testing, certainly on the consumer audio side. But I do believe we should listen to music in the best possible resolution, and I don't think there should be a ceiling on it, but I think there should be an agreement on what high-resolution is."

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sonos-s...IIvAcYg7qMW.99