View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I thought 3x12 would be more area than 2x15, but I was wrong. So you definitely have a point. I guess it then becomes a matter of the materials, bracing, and tuning.

3x12 would tend to be a bit faster in transients though.
Thank you Marc and Piolaxo for your thoughts. It's a tough decision because I know what I have with my Thor. It is an extremely rugged piece of gear. I have found most subs simply don't perform as billed. "6000 watts" means nothing absolutely nothing. It's all advertising hype. The Thor will take 1,000 real world watts with no sign of strain. I have a mono configuration and need the ruggedness for my movies and some cuts of really low frequency material. If I were dissatisfied with my integration no contest no question, Subsonic all the way. However, I believe the 15" woofer which was developed after the 12" is inherently more rugged and powerful, and as I said 2 15's is over 10% greater in cone surface area than 3 12's. Also more excursion. Appreciate anyone's thoughts but I'm still leaning towards Thor, mainly because I know what I have with my Thor. Will make decision soon.