View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 06:43 PM

Time moves on...
I am almost finished experimenting with exotic wood for the main equipment and digital. Still untouched the final things on the turntable and ARC phono preamp.
I have discovered bowl blanks. Larger than the knife scales. Many sizes, I chose 4" by 4" by 2". added: I removed the site I had added as the material I ordered from there arrived looking like the last folks to handle it were a HAZMAT team. Sadly. Also I can say Katalox does NOT work well. It is a bit more clarity, but removes any warmth. I removed the bowl blanks from the Furman REF20 in one day, clearly the previous Bolivian Rosewood* much more interesting addition to the sound. Lively, real sound.
* There is, in geenral, a mystery around some of the wood and if it is actually what it is named.. The bowl blanks I have which were called Bolivian Rosewood, seem to be a different wood, than the other products I have with the same attribution. Harder, glossier, different grain patterns. Some of all this is even seasoned wood mavens can have a hard time identifying wood! Just sayin'.
I stuck with the Knife Scales under the amp. since it already is up on doubled up butcher blocks.
The bowl blanks really work well under the Furman REF20 conditioner, and PS Audio P600 regenerator (both already up on butcher blocks. Warming the sound a bit. I actually got to the point listening so good I was getting a lot of goosebumps, and actually burst out crying.. That good. Then, naturally I kept on fooling around. Lost it. But I think I can get back there.
Combo of pen blanks and ebony points at the moment for Bryston preamp. The Threshold gets Knife Scales. CD changer has pen blanks.
Magnepan 20.7 speaker put up on 8 pen blanks each. May try knife scales eventually but the pen blanks are good.
The Marantz SA-10 is needing to be too close to the butcher block to get anything under it. I have some thin bits of wood I may cut and try.
The phono pre for my Kuzma is the one bit of kit not yet fiddled with. I kind of am trying to get the main area fully done before switching to LP playback area.The ARC SP-15 has vertical room for bowl blanks...

Last edited by Beet Farmer; 09-30-2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Added: