View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
Well after waiting for more than 2 months my Power Plant Premier arrived yesterday courtesy of the Master.

This was basically the last piece of the puzzle necessary to complete a recent system re-design. Waiting is never fun, but the end result was well worth the wait. I know we often discuss how one component can have a large impact on the overall performance, but I will have to say that this may be more significant than I was expecting.

I have of course read numerous professional reviews and have been influenced by the success that everyone on this forum has experienced with this product, but there is nothing like having one (or in Ivan's case many) in your own system.

So what is the outcome?........

Basically everything is improved. The system went from reproducing sound to making beautiful music. The soundstage is so much more coherant and complete. The bass is much more defined with better transient response resulting in more snap and control. The midrange now has a wonderful presence and vocals are sounding so full and lifelike. The high frequencies are smoother and more natural sounding, but yet detailed and without any glare.

There is no question that with reduced distortion comes a more enjoyable listening experience. You can listen without any fatigue at any volume level and not want to stop. The PPP definitely creates a black background of which beautiful music emerges.

Thanks to Ivan and everyone on the forum for all of the positive feedback and input on this piece that has put a very nice finishing touch on my system

Buddy
I wish to share my experience, perhaps more briefly than I would like. I understand the wait for these units is reputed as excruciatingly long. Well, here's a delightful twist.

I was talking with Ivan Wednesday evening. We had exchanged some PM correspondence about the PPPs. You know the "you had me at hello" line from the movie? Ivan didn't know it, but it was kind of like that for me. Even so, we talked about several important audiophile matters and the conversation culminated in my ordering two new black Premiers. I understood the wait would be at least a month -- maybe six weeks, something like that.

I got a call from Ivan the next day, Thursday. He followed up so quickly and professionally with me and his sources that, gasp, the PPPs would be turned around quickly. Early afternoon Friday, the next day, Fed Ex is knocking at my door. Less than 48 hours from the order to delivery at my doorstep. Discounting the remainder of Wednesday evening after the "close of business," it was essentially delivery the next day! On two new black Premiers? Wow! I don't suppose at any time in my life and career have I enjoyed that kind of dedication, commitment and customer service. Thank you Ivan!

I was expecting a laborious burn-in period. I don't really know about that. I plugged them in and was knocked out from the beginning. I played them for about 12 hours Friday. And fired the system back up this morning. I am insatiable. Everything is so great. One thing that I anticipate is even better dynamics with more playing time. But the micro dynamics? Oh man!

I am literally hearing things I have never heard before. Lyrics that were put in the file as indiscernible to me are coming through with clarity. Oh, is that what she's singing? Oh, is that what those words are? I mean, it is incredible. So that's a palpable difference right there.

I don't have any other upgrades in electricity so to speak and my THD coming in is as high as 5.2%; the THD output is sitting around .5-.6%, which is still pretty high perhaps to what some of you guys are achieving; but wow -- what a difference. To say I am floored is so wildly understated. You need a spatula to get me off the floor. My thinking is there is so much improvement that the THD level, while conducive to measurement and reporting, is just one level of the many aspects of sonic improvement.

There was a post that described the addition of the PPP as "icing on the cake." I realize this is just an expression. But my experience and description is that this is the most essential foundation I could imagine. Actually, it is way beyond what I might have imagined. Besides echoing the sonic improvements others have made -- and I might underscore them in my situation -- the PPP did something for me for which am shall be forever in gratitude.

While I am not crazy about a lot of the imaging that recording engineers hang their hats on. You know, a drum set that's spread clear across the stage -- that sort of thing I can do without. But I suppose it would fall categorically under the "imaging" description. Here's what the PPP does for me that just tickles me to death. It makes the instruments coherent and palpable.

I will stop shy of using adjectives like warm, lush, buttery. Those might imply that the sound is not right, that it has been exaggerated. But the thing is, the PPP is not putting a coloration on the sound that is not on the master tape. It just makes everything so much richer. It is like the difference between a stale cookie and one that's fresh out of the oven, warm and buttery (okay, I did say buttery). I am experiencing the instruments much more lifelike. It is a trumpet -- not a representation of a trumpet. Man, this PPP really scratches my itch. I absolutely adore the improvements and cannot get enough. The texture, the timbre, the air around the instruments -- it is just flooring me.

Others have described the MC501s as being very tube-like in their presentation. I wasn't really getting that. Now I am. And I love the McIntosh tube sound. Now, I am enjoying my cake and eating it too. I think I can put the MC2301s further back on my wish list now. In fact, if I had experienced this as a blindfold test and the PPP'd 501s were told to me that they were the MC2301s, I would have said they exceed my expectations. This is getting right at the kind of sound I like. Best upgrade I can imagine.

On an even more personal note or observation, I have listened to every type of music with the PPP. But the one that I would recommend as a demonstration disc is Kraftwerk's "Autobahn." I am very familiar with this piece. Very familiar. And I am literally hearing things I have never heard before. It is so three-dimensional and the timbre (can you use that word to describe electronic sounds?) is flooring me. Flooring me!

Love it, love it, love it.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 10-03-2010 at 01:14 AM.