View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 11:15 AM

My 450 watt MC450 seems plenty adequate but if 70 dB or more of steady state dynamic range is desired, it would take more power from the amp and probably more sensitivity from the speakers. That is if one wanted to avoid the onset of dynamic compression. For vinyl playback, such a quest would be pointless but if you use a source or source material (rather unlikely) with more than 70dB of dynamic range, I can say from experience that 450 watts won't cut it. It's likely such a desire would best be met by a speaker other than the Salon2s as they start to go into compression at about 95dB SPL (IIRC) according to the charts published by the NRC. This doesn't mean they won't play louder, rather that the output of the transducer becomes less linear above that level as measured using the NRC's testing protocols. In practice I haven't found this to be a limitation. I never bump into my system's limits when listening to the material I prefer. I think, assuming you have the power, the Revels do loud better than most direct radiators as respects compression (and the NRC's testing verifies this) but if very high output is the primary requirement there may be better choices than the Salon2. High sensitivity (relatively speaking) ) is their main compromise but I think the tradeoff is well worth it to enjoy what the Revels do best. Listening above an average 90dB SPL is injurious and uncomfortable anyway.

These speakers like power but as Karl reminds us, they are not hard to drive. I spent a few minutes pecking around for the NRC's data but couldn't immediately locate the published tables. They're out there to review if you have the patience to locate them. If you listen at sane levels, none of this is an issue.

Last edited by Pampero; 04-11-2018 at 12:25 PM.