View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Hi everyone. I need advice on what to do with an existing media room.

I’ve been looking at houses down in Florida, and my dream of finding an affordable house with a 13x20 or greater, dedicated space (not a family room or great room) for my audio system appears to be something of a fool’s errand. However, I have found an absolutely wonderful house in a wonderful neighborhood that happens to have an existing 13x16 media room. It has separate dedicated lines for electrical and lighting, and has angled corners. Very nice. But it is a very “live” room. With the door closed I read on the order of 26 dBA ambient noise, but when I talk or clap my hands the reverberations are plain to hear.

What I don’t want to do is make the room any smaller. I was actually thinking of rebuilding the room, since I want to replace the 15A dedicated circuit with a 20A anyway. I figured I’d take the walls down, get the electrical work done, and then put new walls back up. The question is - is there a wall product I can use that won’t cut into the room space but give me better reverberation control than whatever is in there now? I know about the Wall Damp technique, but that (if I understand it correctly) would require a double layer of wall board with the damping material between them. I’d rather not do that if I had an option that could keep the interior space maximized. Thanks.
What can you tell us about the surfaces you have to deal with. Do you have a stone/tile floor? Lots of glass surface in the room?
Dedicated circuit is always a nice improvement. But the benefit is easily overpowered by bad acoustics in a room.
What are your plans when it comes to furniture, carpet, sofa, plants etc? Those items are usually good to have in a room to calm down the sound.