View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-48 View Post
My system is entirely digital and uses a DLNA home-network setup, with an Auralic Aries receiving digital streams from the network. The system is housed in a basement room that I designed with soundproofing help from a local acoustician.

The unavoidably low ceiling (7 ft) and narrow width (12.5 ft) favor speakers with controlled directivity, which the the Janszen main speakers provide -- they also are very clean and uncolored in the midrange and treble. The room's soundproofing results in bass retention, and thus strong bass peaks and nodes; I use a pair of JL F112 subs to help smooth those out, even though the Janszens in this room have strong bass response down to 20 Hz (probably lower, but my measuring setup goes down to 20).

A Classe CP-800 provides preamp, DAC, electronic crossover, and optional EQ and tone controls. Missing from the photos (just back from repair) is a Weiss EQ1 mastering equalizer, which I find cleaner and easier to operate than the Classe's own parametric EQ. The EQ is used almost entirely to smooth the response below 300 Hz.

The Janszens are driven by an AVA Fet Valve 400R. I've tried several considerably more expensive amps, and the AVA fits the Janszens better than most of them.

Nice set up Mike. I wish I still lived in West Linn so I could come over to your place and listen to your system. Looks like you "music" room is very quite with all the sound treatments. Still miss living in Oregon.
Ed
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD

Last edited by edkoz; 05-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.