View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 07:15 PM

I have been rolling some 6X4's in my phono pre. One single FW rectifier tube. It came with an amperex from the 70's, I rolled in a GE from '52 NOS, everything just seemed better. The amperex had detail, but it was like being at a museum, no groove, didn't rock. The Ge's were spacious, just huge soundstage, slightly more noise than the amperexs, but damn quiet. Being shocked at the difference a rectifier tube( a****indiode!) had on the sound, I ordered a bunch more tubes, the ge was bought just to have a backup in house. I picked up a sylvania in a yellow box, cant find the date code, I rolled that in last week. Wow!! The difference was startling. The vocals are much more present and "thick", the bass is way deeper, and this is not hyperbole , I am talking resonances where there never were any at the same volume level. The sound stage is a bit smaller, but still big, it seems to be quieter than the GE. It really rocks though, it just presents music with more of that x-factor that keeps you engaged. I have 2 RCA's and another 2 GE's to try, it is really startling the difference in sound between these tubes. It seems when I changed 6922/7308's in my Chinook the differences were much more subtle, though I was comparing very high grade tubes and my system is much more revealing with the Lamm. Looking for advice and recommendations