View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 07:34 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samac View Post
Thanks, I may just go that route. Although I don’t use USB so the Unison feature won’t get utilized.

It will be interesting. With the Node 2 and the NAD amp my system probably leans just to the warm side of neutral, which I prefer. From what I gather the original Gumby and Bimby were both on the warm side of neutral. But from user impressions it sounds like Gumby A2 and Bifrost 2 are more straight neutral.

Then I’ve got the angle of should I go for the Yggy GS. That is very tempting as well.

I guess I could drive myself nuts with this.

Cheers,

Scott
Here's my take on it: don't drive yourself nuts with it.

Just get something good to get started with for now. If it were me, I'd get 1) a very good DAC and 2) a very good amp. Some folks tend to underplay the importance of the power amp. They shouldn't.

Some folks, to this day, think all power amps "sound the same". They don't.

I've heard Schiit systems with the Freya+ pre and Vidar at good audio shows with Salk floorstanders and they sound outstanding.

I know its easy to fall prey to the classic audiophile merry-go-round of upgrading components. "Should I upgrade my Schiznit pre to the new Schiznit-nit SE?", followed by much reflection and likely some consternation. If that's part of the motivation of the hobby for some guys, that's cool, I'm fine with that*.

But that's not me. I don't want to think about gear. I want to enjoy a compelling, beguiling and engaging experience of listening to...music.

My recommendation? Get a Bifrost 2 and a Vidar and call it day.

*– In my experience you'll obtain notably more audio performance per dollar invested and have a more compelling, enjoyable, and engaging listening experience by upgrading your power cabling and distributor with some affordable Shunyata gear than upgrading your Schiz-nit pre to the Schiz-nit Ultimate Reference Signature Platinum SE.

Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-05-2020 at 07:39 PM.