View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxx View Post
After further review the MB50 looks iffy due to the Ply-Fi being less than ideal and it not being Roon Ready. I kinda jumped to the wrong conclusion that it would be roon ready or compatible. Bummer.

I have a couple of general question I could use help on:

1. I’m still thinking a nice pre amp in the chain is important , thinking C2300, C2500, C2600, or comparable SS. Would the Schitt / Innous combo or maybe a Brookland Bridge, etc. make the pre amp not really necessary? (don’t care about phono or anything but digital right now) . My research tells me the pre IS probably necessary to get the house sound I like and that it is an important part of the system. Please share your knowledge.

2. Assuming I had one of the McIntosh preamps listed above and intended to use the internal dac, would the addition of the Innous MK3 (or similar) add it’s own color to the sound or do they get out of the way, so to speak? Demoing gear is not a realistic option, unfortunately. I guess the obvious answer is that it probably will add, or take something away. Comes down to a personal preference question? Right?

Thanks so much for all your feedback. The scarcity of brick and mortar Audio dealers can make this hobby that much more challenging. The addition of the MC452 has awakened my B&W 805 speakers. I am anxious to get the the Parasond P5 and airport express out of the system. Not to knock the P5, but I did get to do an A/B demo with it next to a Mcintosh MB50 or whatever Mcintosh had that was similar about 3-5 years ago. The Mcintosh won that comparison by a nice margin.
If you plan on generally using a streamer for Tidal or Spotify, you can't go wrong with the MB50. After trying a slew of other streamers, I found its sound quality to be superior in my all McIntosh system. Its Cirrus Logic DAC is stellar, so you won't necessarily need a preamp with an internal DAC. Keep it all McIntosh and feel content.