View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
What works best is ultimately confirmed by trying and listening. That said...

Within the UltraSS series, from your photos, I'll say the 3rd photo with or without the spike may work best. The idea being to have the "technology pockets" where the vibration mitigation takes place closest to the component. That would be the tapered end of the UltraSS. As your pictures show, you can unscrew the 'hat' from the tapered end, screw the unit into the component and either put the hat or a spike on the wide end. This applies only if you are threading the UltraSS onto an adapter attached to the component. The spikes are new enough that user feedback is just starting to trickle in - at least from what I've read. At this point, imo, the spikes are for an UltraSS on carpet, and only if needed and if four units are in play, it would have to be an awfully thick carpet to create instability of a speaker. But hey, ymmv.

Without the threaded adapter you want the component sitting on the 'hat' with at least a credit card's width of space between the hat and the main UltraSS body.

Unless you need the base for the extra stability that its width brings, be sure to try the UltraSS without it.

edit: Looks like attached photos are not included in a quote. The reference is to rnrmf1971's post, not the photos immediately above.
Thanks for the input. Your advice echoes what I've read regarding placement of the "technology pockets."

Despite that information being out there, some seem to suggest attaching the speaker adapter to the wide end (bottom) of the Stillpoint Ultra SS, and orienting it hard hat (tapered side) down.

Obviously I have little choice but to use this type of orientation with Ultra 5's when I try those.

The question that I don't have an answer to is what purpose the hard hat would serve if it's attached to the wider end of the Stillpoint, and used as the point of contact with the floor. It no longer serves to isolate the speaker or component from the technology pocket. The best answer I come up with is for leveling purposes of the speaker, perhaps. Otherwise I see the hard hat on the wide end of the Stillpoint Ultra SS as an area of possible instability.

Presently, I use the speaker adapters and spikes on the Ultra SS's (as pictured below), but I'm not crazy about the spikes stability on my floors, so I'm considering the Ultra 5's or using the Ultra SS's in a different orientation.

Whether or not to use the outriggers or attach directly to the bottom of the speaker is whole different issue. My gut says the outriggers on these speakers don't help the sound when using Stillpoints. I'll play around with that after I decide which works best on outriggers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss_spike.jpg (73.3 KB, 137 views)

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables