Thread: 3.7 vs. 3.7i
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnut View Post
I heard the 3.7i just last week at my dealer. I owned the 3.7 before I moved to the 20.7 a couple years ago. Do I have to list all of the usual hyperbole we all use when describing a new and improved product or can I just say that everything the reviewer said was true? Very simply it's a better sounding and better performing speaker. There was absolutely no discussion. Is it as good as the 20.7 now? In a word, no. To my ears though, it took a nice step closer. I understand the concern about the shipping cost and possible damage. If it were me I'd just trade the 3.7 or sell it outright and buy the 3.7i new. Let the dealer worry about the shipping. Actually, I think the shipping worries are a little overblown. I've had 1.6s, 3.5s, 3.6s, 3.7s, 20.7s and the CCR center all shipped and never had so much as a blemish. Magnepan has been doing this for a long time. If you get them there properly packaged I don't think there's too much to worry about. After hearing what this change has done for the 3.7 I'm wondering now if the same kind of upgrade can be done to the 20.7? I wouldn't think twice to make the change.
Thanks for the post, magnut. It's good to see Magnepan continuously put out excellent products and even doing a few tweaks to an already well-regarded product to make it even better. If they offer a 20.7i upgrade, I would definitely look into that as well.