View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 11:04 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I’m just finishing refurbishing this 70s vintage Thorens TD 165. I got it for free: an old friend and business associate moved last year and it had been in his attic gathering dust for years. He had no interest in “playing records” any more but knew of my passion, so he shipped it from New Jersey to me in Washington state. Luckily the spindle bearing, motor and mechanical parts were all in good shape. I’ve spent a few hours upgrading the old cables and rca plugs, cleaning the platter edge (which was pretty ugly), re-oiling the spindle bearing, refinishing the wood plinth, etc. I’ve left the original Empire cartridge, which is in pretty good shape, and just replaced the stylus. I’ve also added a nice cork/rubber composite mat.

Although this table is in good enough shape to be able to handle a nicer cartridge and other upgrades, I’ve been trying to minimize investment because I’ll be passing it on to a young colleague who wants to get into vinyl, but has a new baby and can’t afford to spend much on it. So for about $100 in parts cost I’m able to give him a classic table in good shape making nice sounds. Now I just have to find him a decent phonostage.

You are good man, Tony!

BTW, my very first-ever turntable was a Thorens TD165 just like that one!

My recommendation for a phono stage for your friend would be a Schiit Mani.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.