View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Ivan.......You have said the same to me on many occasions and so far I have not been able to move off center. Both of my Sonos zone players are used strictly for previewing new music and nothing more. I don't use them to wireless stream music on my home network and I don't listen to them as a source for musical enjoyment because I am a critical listener. I have no need to access music files from another system since I have high-res music servers in both of my sound system with duplicate libraries on both of them.

I don't doubt the W4S modified Sonos zone player sounds better than the stock zone player but the best streaming audio from any Internet source is 320kbs and the majority is 128kbs and lower. In my mind this is bit cripple audio and I can hear the difference. I don't see a need for a cleaner DAC or lower jitter when the only purpose the Sonos serves for me is auditioning new music for possible purchase. That's why I have not shipped one or both of my ZP90's to Wyred 4 Sound. To me the performance gain is simply not worth it.
I'll tag in here and point out Dan's point about lossy streaming/radio services - this is where the Sonos belongs, and the mod does absolutely improve the lossy part. It fits into its role very well here. But as a redbook or higher source component (lossless on up), no. That is where I have found it falling short.

Sorry for any confusion.