View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 01:38 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
In regards to electricity, i do have them on their own dedicated line.

I think the problem right now is the speakers being to big for my
Listening room, mids and highs seem to dominate the room. I
Always thought low end might be my biggest concern.
My friend with the too large speakers primary complaint is “no bass”... which sounds a bit like what you are saying.

When I was young I wanted to climb mountains like Mt. Everest. I lived in Chicago and could only get to the mountains of Colorado once a year at most. So most of my purchases were based on dreams. So my best friend and I bought sleeping bags (the friend with the too big speakers) for -20 degrees F as if we were going to Everest. I sweated and was unbelievably uncomfortable for ten or fifteen years until I bought a bag that was suited for the climate I actually mountaineered in.

One of the most memorable systems I have ever heard was in a room the size of a medium sized closet. I remember it had a Cary amp. The speakers were small. The guy thought the images were too low in the room, so had put reflectors in front of the speakers at an acute angle to the floor. The sound was astonishing, deep bass, big fat images of the sax and drums behind the wall. This guy knew acoustics and system components. He crafted each room to show off different components.

The biggest upgrade I probably ever got for my system was moving to this house... very much accidental choice of this listening area. It is large, 28’ * 38’ .. or 48’ depending on how you want to measure its z shape, asymmetrical on all sides, concrete and underground on 3 sides. My audio guy of twenty years calls it the best space he has ever heard. I moved from a small space then had relatively small speakers and moved methodically to larger (not as on purpose as it sounds). I stopped here with the Sonus Fabre Amati Traditional because they are right sized. My audio guy and I discussed, and thinking about what I have learned over the years confirms to me.. larger would be too large.

I have been forced to learn that “right sizing” speakers is critical in putting together a high-end system. Also, that I am as dumb as a post on the subject, it has taken me getting wacked over the head with the facts and not seeing them for decades. You read the reviews and specs, you want deep bass, etc and get fixated on the biggest baddest equipment without consideration to THE most important parameter... the acoustic space in which they are set up. Sure, SOME DAY you are going to have that dedicated room... the problem is, that some day may be far off in the future or never come. Also, if you build a system for the space you have it is going to be a fraction of the cost... and later in life you are more likely to have the money for that big system.

Looking back, I took the stupidest, least rewarding way to get where I am. Unbelievable persistence, luck, and a lot of money got me to where I am... which is a system that would show well in any of the finest showrooms of high end audio in the world. But it sure wasn’t a bee line to get there. It is enormously gratifying each day when I see and hear the magic of my system. I am sure many have found their way to their ideal system with much less effort.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 01-13-2021 at 08:57 PM.