View Single Post
Old 07-10-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
This reviewer might have gotten confused and still have played the system out of phase.

He hooked his speakers up in phase (which is incorrect) and wondered why he had no bass - so he switched the phase on his subwoofer. What about the mids and treble coming directly out of his speakers?? he even said what he did wrong and did not fix it - see highlighted below from the review.

No wonder he thinks the cj pre amp is bright in the top end - its still out of phase !!

How this has gone to print is amazingly bad.

I think you might be overstating the phase issue. We probably all know the following but I will state it for clarity. Hopefully I get it right.

There is "inverted phase", and there is "out of phase", and they are not the same thing.

Out of phase is when you have the left speaker playing with the opposite phase of the right speaker. This is a very bad situation and causes easily audible aberrations. Everyone that can hear, can hear this easily. No disputes there.

Inverted phase is when you have both speakers with the same phase, but the positive "electrical" signal is going to the negative terminal of the speaker (for both left and right speakers). It is debatable whether inverted phase is easily audible when playing music. Some claim it is, some claim it isn't. Whether it is easily audible or not, it will not change the frequency response, and will not cause "treble emphasis".

Now from what I read, the reviewer had inverted phase (with both main speakers in phase with each other). Initially his subwoofer was out of phase with the woofers of his main speakers, and playing some of the same frequency range (as his main speakers were playing full range), causing "weak bass response" due to cancelation of some bass frequencies due to the subwoofer being out of phase with the woofers of the main speakers. He corrected this issue by setting his subwoofers phase to 180 degrees (inverted phase) to match his main speakers woofers.

Sure he should have inverted the phase of his main speakers and left the subwoofer at zero degrees phase, that would have been preferable. But his chosen solution also works. Either solution would sound pretty much identical when playing music. As I mentioned before, it is debatable wether inverted phase is audible when playing music.

If his left and right speakers were out of phase with each other, that is a whole different story and would invalidate the whole review, but I don't think that is the case here.

Anthony

Last edited by plurn; 07-10-2016 at 08:53 AM.