View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 PM

Default Acs10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
Yes and no.

NAS devices provide redundant storage to a network. We have adapted them for use in our digital systems, but in many ways they're not ideally suited to high end audio. And most NAS devices have multiple connectivity options (thunderbolt, USB, HDMI, etc.) for outputting data.

The ACS isn't a NAS - it's a CD transport/ripper with internal hard drives. It does not provide redundancy in its storage and apparently doesn't offer options for outputting beyond ethernet.

Of course, the ACS needs to be network enabled for the Conductor App to work, to receive metadata from the internet, and for accessing the data from your pc. But is that the best way to route digital data to the N10? I would think that AES/EBU or USB cable for example would be better. Isn't that how most CD transports and rippers connect up in other systems?
Some of the information you posted isn’t exactly accurate. The ACS10 comes from the factory in a RAID configuration where the drives are mirrored so there is redundancy. The user has the option to combine the two drives into on virtual drive, but in that mode redundancy is lost.

Aurender claims the best way to connect the N100, N10, Etc. is via a LAN cable. I have onnected my X100L, N100H in this manner and it works great. Aurender states this eliminates potential noise from a router and your network. As far as your other statement, the ACS10 has a USB output for connecting to a DAC. This USB port is identical to the one in the N10.

Being that the ACS10 comes with its drives in a mirrored state it does in fact look and act as a NAS on your network. Obviously acting as a standard NAS isn’t its intended purpose.

Last edited by Projectman; 12-06-2018 at 08:40 PM.