View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinz View Post
How interesting I briefly listened to the sopra against 803d3 and Wilsons today and found the opposite the sopra was very clinical and fast but didn't deliver much in mid warmth or bass. I wonder why my impressions are so different.
Could very well be a matter of the chain driving them. All of my auditions were with a whole lot more power on tap than any of the speakers could have used.

Could also be a matter of listening preferences. I prefer clinical and fast as long as it is accurate. That said, I didn't find the B&W any more bloated than the Focal, both were pretty fast and accurate. The 802d3 actually was the best of the speakers I heard, but by a small enough margin that the price difference was hard to justify. I definitely preferred the Sopra to the 803d3, but again, it was close enough that I wouldn't have paid much more for the Sopra over the 803d3.

I am running into a bit of a problem though, the place I auditioned the Sopra isn't exactly a Focal dealer, they have been in the past, and they were doing the audition as a favor. I am not sure the details of how they came into possession of the Sopra, but they are still trying to figure out how to sell me a pair. When I called back to tell them that this was the speaker I wanted, they said they would have to get back to me, and still haven't.