View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 PM

Default Advice for using ARC for both 2 channel and home theater

My current setup is a Marantz Receiver, B&W 600 series speakers, a HSU sub, and an old DVD player and a Pioneer Elite TV. I also have a Control 4.

When I get my new ACR REF 10, REF 250s and REF 2SE to go with Vandersteen 7s and Basis 2200, setting up the 2 channel audio should be easy and sound great, especially since I get help from the local shop where I purchased the equipment and was able to hear the exact same system. However, now I have to decide what to do with my home theater setup.

My goal is to play digital music in addition to vinyl. Do not need streaming. I like the idea of a server containing my music and a DAC with output to my REF 10. I like the idea of a Mac Mini with iPad control where I can pick songs and adjust the volume using an iPad, but am open to alternative ideas. One suggestion was a Bricasti M1 connected to the MacMini, something Dan D'Agnostino mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago. However, I have been given other suggestions. Any thoughts?

On the home theater, I suppose I could keep the Marantz, get a new Vandersteen Center Channel and surround speakers along with a new Oppo 105 and use the Marantz to power the center and surrounds, or get new equipment. I know McIntosh makes products for this purpose, but was wondering if any of you have some advice. With such nice ARC equipment for my 2 channel, I also want good sound when listening to BluRay 5.1 surround discs like Eagles Hell Freezes over.

Thanks!!