View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 PM

Viper, I find the synergy between the LL2D and M1.2s to be simply magical. There are some things my Ayre KX-R preamp does better, specifically it is a bit more resolving and transparent overall with better frequency extremes but the LL2D simply makes you forget everything related to HI-FI and just sit there totally immersed in music. It is also able to recreate the space and depth a bit better along with better image density, a trait of tube regulated power supplies from what I understand. That's not to say the Ayre KX-R is too analytical or hyper detailed, it is not, it is one of the very best SS preamps I have experienced to date. The tubed LL2D gives up a bit here and there but it never leaves you wanting more since it makes the music sound even more organic, wholesome, rich in harmonic structure and texture and ultimately very enjoyable and pleasing to the ear.

The ARC Reference 5 is no doubt a great preamp but I'd suggest you try to audition the LL2.1 or even the older LL2D with your M1.2s to see if the synergy of Lamm/Lamm strikes a chord with you.