View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 11:49 PM

I've been continuing to analyze these speakers with different genre of music as well as comparing them with the ELAC Debut B6 bookshelf budget speakers I got a couple weeks earlier, and of course to my main speakers. The Wharfedales sacrifice resolution compared to the B6s and obviously to the much more expensive Quatro Wood CTs. The B6 sounds more overall like what we're accustomed to as audiophiles - more resolution and detail. The B6 sense of swing is similar to the Vandersteens. The Wharfedales sound smoother and snappier with rock music but the difference in pace and rhythm diminish with classical music. Comparing the three speakers has been fascinating.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels