View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 PM

Oh, they make amps as well :-)

I agree that it's easier to get amplification right if you go with one brand. I tried the matching Conrad Johnson DAC recently, and while it was fine I liked what I have more.

Oddly, its the seemingly poor recordings that often benefit most from good synergy. Robert Johnson and Jimmy Hendrix are compulsory listening if you like the blues. On my old 804s (to be fair this was before I got the rest of the system sorted) both were thin, harsh and virtually unlistenable. Now I'm happy to put them on any time and for anyone that is a blues fan because they sound so good, I mean right there good. You feel you are on first name terms with the guy who sold his soul to the devil down the crossroads back in the 1930s.

I find moving to tubes has done wonders for vocals and for overdriven guitar tone ( eg Hendrix! amongst many others) to die for. Stereophile said the B1 might be tipped up in the highs by valve amps, I guess it depends on the valve amp, 70 watts vs 7 watts could produce quite different results.

Possibly the amp is the most critical element when talking bout leakers but its amazing the journey you can go on when you have revealing speakers. I stream from a MacBook and adding a SSD made a significant improvement. In fact i think you need to be careful with every component and the room if you want to unlock the potential of high end speakers. For example, the Weiss interface and MacBook come with wall wart supplies. Can't wait (well its a loooong wait so I will have to be figurative here) for my linear shunt power supply to arrive from the Outer Hebrides. The B1s are sounding excellent but I know there is more potential that can be unlocked with a proper power supply.